Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ready for the battle?

Proverbs 21:31 (NIV) says: “The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord.”

Of course, in our daily life we have no horses to get ready for the day of battle, but we do have our own battles, our “callings” that need preparation and daily maintenance – our marriage, singleness, being a parent, our career, or whatever else God has called us to do on a given day or in our current stage in life.

For example, when the Lord led me to write a fiction novel, I thought it would easy. After all, l had been writing all my life – devotions, curriculum, newsletters, and such. I jumped right in and wrote the book, only to be told by someone kind enough to clue me in that I had a promising story but first had to learn to write fiction.

That wonderful person was published author Bonnie Hearn Hill, and the Lord really blessed me the day he brought her into my life. She became my teacher, my mentor, my editor, and, most importantly, my friend. We’ve worked together for about three years, and I’ve finally finished my first fiction novel. It’s ready and waiting for some agent or publisher to say, “Yes!”

That brings us to the second part of the verse: “But victory rests with the Lord.” He is in control. It’s out of my hands. I’ve done what he asked me to do and have to leave the rest up to him. Of course, I’ll submit and submit and submit because that’s what I’m supposed to do, but ultimately it is in his hands now.

You might ask: Why would the Lord lead me to write a book that wouldn’t be published? And I would have to answer: I hope he didn’t, but if he did, I really don’t know. Maybe it’s because I have grown and learned so much in the process, I have many new friends because of it, or I enjoyed every minute of the learning and the writing although it was very difficult at times. But this one thing I know, what happens next is up to the Lord, and I’m content with that.

Does this verse bring your story to mind? Please share it…

3 comments:

  1. Hi Loretta,
    I totally identify. Bonnie has helped me, also, to perfect my fiction. I have already queried many agents and several publishers. They say the best way to nab an agent is to meet one at a conference. I haven't met one yet who is interested in what I write. Right now, my daughter is helping me with a self-publishing plan. We have someone interested in doing the cover art. I also am speaking about my book at a local Christian school. Since this is part of my daughter, Kelly's, and my marketing plan, we were very excited when I got the invitation. The kids will be reading the first three chapters before I get there. I'm hoping to have a few quickie, though unprofessional copies to give away when I go there in a few weeks. I've already formally registered my book with the copyright office.

    It took me over fifteen years to get my fiction writing to the publishable point. God gave me the story idea back then, and I've been rewriting ever since. I have started a blog, too, if you are interested. I call it Writer Imaginings, but I post it on blogspot under my name. If you go to my Facebook page, I list it under my profile. You can click on it. I will keep tuned in to your publishing adventure, and pray for your success in reaching many with a positive Christian message.

    Blessings,
    Cindy Noonan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful piece, Loretta. You have the best combination necessary for a writer--inspiration, prespiration--and craft, craft, craft.

    Hugs.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete